Friday, December 14, 2012

Prayers for Love


Today I had planned on posting another blog about my trip.  But I came home from class today and checked the news.

And today I cried.  I cried for nearly an hour.  My heart hurt for the insensitivity that exits in the world.  I cried for families that can no longer be together for Christmas.  I cried because children are precious.  I was broken cause I cannot understand the inhumanity involved in taking the life of a child.  It is deplorable to think of the actions that we are capable with hate in our hearts.  Jesus, fill our hearts with love so that this pain does not return.

I cannot think about the events in Newtown, CT without my vision becoming blurred with tears.  I pleaded with God for comfort for those families involved.  And I tried my best to pray for the killers, though I know my prayer for them was hardly heartfelt.  I begged God to help me understand why such cruelty exists.  But it always has.  It was a hatred like this that nailed Jesus to the cross. 

It pains me to think how occupied I am with my own life, the things that cause me distress.  I feel selfish for longing to be back home with my loved ones.  There are families that can no longer wrap their arms around their children.  But all the more I want to hug the ones I love and appreciate them more.

So I have sat for the last several hours offering painful prayers.  Prayers for understanding.  Prayers for comfort.  But most of all, prayers for love.  Because without love, we breed hate.

My heart is concentrated on the families, friends and students acquainted with the 27 victims at Sandy Hook Elementary.  I beg you Lord, Please be with them.

~ "But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you.” ~  Psalm 39:7

No comments: