Sunday, December 16, 2012

Alajuela


Alajuela is where I live.  Well Alajuela is where I live like Akron, Ohio is where I live.  Apparetnly it is universal to say you live in the next biggest town down the road.  I actually live in Currillos.  But, if I am in need of anything, a bank, transportation, a store, a Taco Bell (yeah, I saw a Taco Bell) Alajeula is where to go.  I visited Alajuela the second day that I was here.  I went with Elli.  She works at the Institute and provided me with a guided tour of the city.  We went to the museum and learned a little about the history of Costa Rica.  We also ate casados, the typical plate of Costa Rica.  It was delicious with grilled chicken, cheesy potatoes, grilled plantains, rice, beans, guacamole, tortilla chips, and accompanied with a tall glass of guanabana juice.  ¡Que rico! 
Since my firs visit I have been back to Alajuela several times.  I am not fond of the crowds and crowds of people or the buses jammed with Costa Ricans.  However, the transportation system is very nice, unlike the second hand school buses in Honduras.  The staff at the institute always ask me if I am going to Alajuela, but I tell them I am not much of a city fella and it is far to busy for my liking. 

The other option for necessities is Grecia.  It is a much smaller city in the opposite direction.  It is cleaner and much less crowded.  But again, I prefer to avoid the cities if possible.  I visited Grecia the first week with Rocio.  I ate another casado.  Did I mention they are deliscious?  Anyway, I can catch a bus from the house for about 60 cents to get to either city.  Sure beats a $10 taxi ride. (I took a taxi to church in Grecia; it cost $17) 

Both cities are beautiful and full of ancient building built long ago.  They have parks that could be nice for relaxing if they were not so crowded.  It is nice for a short visit for a change of pace, but I have not made a habit of frequenting either city.






No comments: