Thursday, December 13, 2012

Meet the Family


As I mentioned, I am staying with a Costa Rican family to enhance the experience.  The family lives somewhat near the school.  However, I I responsible for getting to school which usually entails a seven-minute taxi ride costing roughly 5o cents per minutes. 

The family is wonderful.

The fathers name is Jamie.  He is a comedian.  Well by profession he works for the department of education in Costa Rica, but he likes to dig up a laugh.  The other night he informed us that the rat living in the kitchen was his friend and we could not kill him.  He later told me that I cold only have a cookie if I left half it on the stove for the rat. 

The mothers name is Rocio.  She is a stay at home mom so she has plenty of time to put up with me.  She had done everything for me from show me around the city to washing my clothes.  She has been a great help.  Also Rocio provides me with breakfast and conversation at 6:30 on the dot every morning.  And dinner at night is always something both Costa Rican and delicious.

The sons name is Esteban.  He is in high school so I do not see a ton of him.  He is generally off with his friends.  However, he is very polite and always makes an effort to talk to me.  He also invited me to church where he plays percussion in the praise band.

The house is nice.  I have my own bedroom and bathroom.  But by the time I arrive in Ohio it will have been 5 weeks since my last warm shower.  Brrrr.  The view from the back porch is a steep hill overlooking a jungle scene.  Tropical birds often rest on the sagging branches of the palms out back.  The mountains create an extravagant backdrop to the landscape.  God’s creation can make any place feel more like home.

My home for 5 weeks






No comments: