Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sacrifice


I am all too often under the impression that I am making sacrifices.  The other night I was set straight by a women and her family who represented true sacrifice.

Saundra, one of the workers at Casa de Esperanza, invited us out to her village.  Two of her six children were being baptized at a tiny Catholic church.  I was excited to support her and her family because she has always been kind to me.  But the service was so long, and some of that excitement faded.  But a few hours later the ceremony had concluded.  We walked back across the dirt road and over to Saundra’s house.  It was a typical Honduran house; dirt floor, few rooms, and very small.  But, she had managed o make room at the table for our group of just over ten.  She had insisted on making s dinner.  I figured it was an insult if we did not accept.  Not a single member of the family sat around the table.  They made sure we were all well accommodated long before they rested their feet.  Saundra prepared beef, rice, salad, and potato.  As I was eating the delicious meal, I noticed her family was eating significantly smaller portions.  Is hurt me to think that they didn’t have the money to be providing so much food.  But, their sacrifice embodied the love of Christ. 

She reminded me of the woman with the alabaster jar of perfume. 

“While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.

 When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste?" they asked.”

            -Matthew 26:6-8-

I tend to misunderstand true sacrifice.  To be served by those who have so little is a blessing from God.

No comments: