Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Kindergarten Graduation


Because of a late arrival I did not get to see the kids that night.  But I was awoken by the sweet sound of thirteen angels singing out of tune.  It was about 6:30 am, but I didn’t mind too much because I knew I could participate in naptime later that afternoon.  But the real event was not my arrival but the joy of kindergarten graduation. 

            The reunion that morning was great but short lived as the other children went to visitation day in the city.  I was left behind to play with the kindergarteners before their big day.  We got dressed up and hiked over to the little room schoolhouse.  The place was crowded with the children and their parents.  There were directors and presidents of things I did not understand.  The mayor of Santa Ana was even there.  This was a big deal and I got to be a part of it. 

            Monica, Fernando, and Daniela were all graduating. Monica was happy to be there.  But it was her 2nd or 3rd year in kindergarten.  She was born with some mental incapability and she was finally passing, making us all proud.  Fernando’s face beamed all day long with pride.  It was so cute to see him walk up to the front and get his diploma.  His walk personified his fulfillment as he bounced with each step.  Daniela was quiet and almost bashful as we praised her.  She didn’t seem to glory in the attention as much as the other kids.  But her beautiful smile came out now and then.  You could see her joy and sense of accomplishment.  After the big ceremony, we sat outside in the warm sun and enjoyed lunch and company.  The kids were playing with their balloons, which they loved.

            I was proud of these kids like they were my own.  I was delighted to fill in as their Papi.  

2 comments:

Vicky said...

This is the new picture on my desktop! I love it! You both have the sweetest smiles! Congratulations to all the kids! Love, Mom

Unknown said...

awww... so sweet! i miss you buddy.