Friday, August 8, 2008

Kisses in the Morning; Cuddles at Night

There are few things more precious than the touch of a child. I have the joy of experiencing that in many ways on my journey in Honduras. A simple hug, or a kiss on the cheek, whichever it is, has the ability to melt a heart. Being down here at Casa de Esparanza has given me plenty of heart melting opportunities. I’m uncertain, now, if my heart hasn’t quite turned to total mush.
This past week I have been staying in Ashley’s room while she sleeps with the kids. The room is divided by ¾ a wall. Thus, I have the pleasure of listening to the girls as they sleep, or whisper, cough, and giggle. But they have come to figure out that I am sleeping in the room next door. (I may or may not occasionally harass them from the next room over.) A few nights ago I heard Katty start to cry, while I was reading in bed. The next thing I knew she was in my bed with a burning fever. Ashley had brought her in and asked me to hold her. Her warm fevered arms immediately clung to my neck. She had tears streaming down her face from the sickness that had overtaken her. I put my arm around her and held her tight, doing my best to comfort her pain. Ashley came back in to take her, but she preferred cuddling. So, Katty and I snuggled up and after a few whispers and giggles we both drifted off. I truly felt blessed to hold and comfort one of God’s littlest.
Just this morning I was startled awake when something warm and wet touched my cheek. I opened my eyes, the room was still a bit hazy but I saw a three foot something little girl huddling over me. “Papi,” she said with a big grin after she had kissed my face. I couldn’t stop the muscles in my face from returning the gesture. “Buenos Dias, Bonita,” (Good morning, beautiful)” I said through my smile. She ran off to finish her morning activities. I rolled back over unable to relax the smile that had made its home on my face. It’s so simple to see why Jesus had such a special place in his heart for children.

No comments: