Thursday, August 28, 2008

How Beautiful upon the Mountain...

I had a great birthday this year. I got to celebrate with some new friends at a little restaurant with less than ten tables in Honduras called Portica. Mark and Lori joined us. Cha Chi and Octi graced us with there presents. Gina came along. And of course Ashley, Jen and Sam were there to celebrate. We fellowshipped. We laughed. We ate some good food. Then we went over to Baskin Robbins for some Dulce con Leche ice cream. After all, it’s not a birthday without some desert. I enjoyed the evening very much.
But the real celebration took place personally. Earlier in the day, we went to Nueva Oriental, a small mountain village outside of the city. It is a poor area with many children. Their parents can not afford to feed kids. So, a church built a feeding center to provide at least one meal a day for the kids. They were not getting fully nourished, but they were not starving.
I had the privilege of giving on my birthday. I was able to work with the ladies in the feeding center. I loaded up tray of bowls that contained beans and rice. I took to food into a room full of eager children crowding several picnic tables. I knew they were hungry by the way they devoured the food. It truly is better to give than to receive.
After lunch, we walked the mountain side with an entourage of children. We were looking for possible properties on which we can build houses. Two houses that we found were poorly built and overcrowded. In the future, we hope to bring them love and a new home.

---How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of the messenger who announces peace, who brings good news, who announces salvation, who says to Zion, "Your God reigns."--- Isaiah 52:7

I felt God’s beauty in my dirt covered feet.

No comments: