Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Why do I always end up here?


In preparing for this trip, I was excited, until the trip approached.  I started doubting my decision to leave the country for five weeks.  Many unconstructive thoughts crept into my mind.  I am leaving my comfort zone for 5 weeks, what a bad idea.  I am leaving everyone I care about to spend 5 weeks alone.  I am leaving 5 weeks before Christmas, I am going to miss out on all the fun.  Not to mention, how the heck am I going to communicate only in Spanish for 5 weeks.  Needless to say, I found myself faithless and full of doubt, yet again.  Why do I always end up here?  Fortunately I have a God who is faithful.  Or a God who likes to smack me around until I wake up from my self pitying stupor. 
In Costa Rica I am staying with a family.  I live here in a room and communicate with them only in Spanish.  Its day two in the morning before class.  The mother and I are having breakfast as the husband and son left for work and school.  We are just making small talk when we start to talk about God and my relationship with Christ.  She asks me do you believe in angels?  I said “well sure.”  Then I looked into her eyes as streams of salty sorrow flowed down her kind face and she responded, “I think you are one.  My eyes widened and I was thrown back.  “Me? An angel? Hardly.”  But her family had been going through a tough time attempting to move form one house to another.  Also she has been working on the salvation of her husband for years.  With out a doubt she was living in a time of stress.  My presence and conversation was a breath of fresh air that she sorely needed.  Who am I but a simple man, not an angel and clearly incapable of understanding God’s majestic movements through our lives.
            As human being we are always trying to measure our lives with time.  I am running late.  I don’t think we will make it in time.  Time to go.  What time is it?  We always desire to be on time.  But what do we know of time?  Time exists because God created and it is his.  I have come to realize that in the realm of God’s time, I am right where he wants me to be.  The sooner I realized that the sooner I could let it impact my life and the lives around me.

 ~He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority." ~ Acts 1:7

No comments: