Monday, March 23, 2009

Simply Serving... Serving Simply

I knew this trip would be different than my previous adventures to Honduras.  But, I became frustrated with the way thing were moving.  I wanted to serve God.  I wanted to see evidence that I was representing his glory.  My desire was to simply serve Christ.

            Since I had a preconceived conception of what serving God looked like, I remained frustrated for a time.  I wanted to leave a lasting impact on this country.  I envisioned houses being built for the homeless.  The hungry fed.  Lives changed.  I was only putting things into a big picture.  God taught me, even through my stubbornness, that I was here to simply serve but in the form of serving simply. 

            Serving simply means laying down what I believe is serving God and just doing.  Simple tasks can edify the God we love when done in his name.  I learned to glorify God in simply living life with Carlos, Eduardo, and Saul.  It’s a joy to God and I both to just sit in the room and talk with Carlos about anything or to play soccer in the garage with Saul.  I have found that I serve God in just being around them.  I have felt blessed to influence their lives.  When before, I looked at it as a chore to take care of them.

            There are many other simple acts of service that I have learned to dedicate to God.  I am serving even when I just offer a knee for a child to sit on to do homework.  Serving simply is opening a door for a Honduran with his hands full, grabbing a hand of a child, or visiting with those who see little love.  A ride from the top to the bottom of El Hatilo (a mountain in Honduras) for some hitchhiking kids is a delight to the Lord.    It’s about doing simple things for God’s children.

            I came to this country simply to serve but God has taught me to use the gift of being in Honduras to serve simply with every opportunity.

 

“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.”

-1 Peter 4:10-

No comments: