Saturday, July 26, 2008

Where there is doubt, have faith

Fear, doubt, nervousness, anxiety, regret, uncertainty…. All these emotions stirred in my heart, mind, and stomach as I attempted to ready myself to begin life in Honduras. Questions claimed my thoughts. What was I thinking, committing two months to a foreign country? Do I really think I can handle this? Do I belong down there? Can this really be what God has planned for me? To increase the worry that consumed me, Casa de Esperanza had so many unanswered questions of there own.
Rainy days rarely provide redeeming moments. The day we landed in San Pedro Sula was gloomy and the rain fell heavy on my doubts. I wanted to be alone with my thoughts, let them meander around in my mind for a few hours. I was almost looking forward to the solitude in my head on the 5 hour bus ride to Santa Ana. To my dismay, I learned we were staying at a hotel in San Pedro Sula. My hopes fell. I wanted to be somewhere familiar and refrain from feeling this way.
But, God has a funny way of dealing with the doubter. His love is going to see us through whatever it is that we think we need to be hung up on.
Jesus never gave up on the most skeptical of all doubters. Thomas said “Unless I see the wounds from the nails in his hands, and put my finger into the wounds from the nails, and put my hand into his side, I will never believe it!” In his disbelief, Jesus came to Thomas through a wall, and because that was not enough Jesus said “Touch me, feel my side, believe.”
Christ lifted my doubts in the same way when walked into that little hotel room in San Pedro Sula. The five brothers stood there with smiles from ear to ear. (The five brothers just recently left the orphanage, but I spent time with them in March) I heard Jesus, “touch me, believe this is where I want you,” as I bent down and wrapped my arms around Marvin and he eagerly shouted “Mike.”
“Where there is doubt; faith.” Saint Francis of Assisi once said. When in doubt, have faith in Christ.
Things were finally starting to feel right, even after Marvin vomited out the window and into my face. Unfortunately, we had to leave the boys and head to Santa Ana. The car had a hallow sadness looming inside as we watched the boys get smaller from the back window.
Soon the Father comforted me yet again. Touch me again. Have no doubt. I am with you. Believe.
“Papi,” I hear a sweet familiar voice and it melts my heart. I see my baby girl, Daniela, running, beautiful brown skin shining in the sunlight, big brown eyes full of joy, and her dark hair waving behind her as she approached. She was just as gorgeous and precious as I remembered. To embrace her was to know that I had made the right decision. I have faith that God will use me among these children in the months to come.

3 comments:

Jeff Carr said...

Mike,
Good luck down there. You have wonderful writing skills. I look forward to reading more.

Jeff

nonnilulu said...

Mike, keep the faith! We are so proud of you and will pray for you throughout your journey.
We love you, Uncle Rick & Aunt Kathy

lcroney said...

Mike,

Sounds like you made the right decision. We can't wait to hear more. Our thoughts & prayers are with you.

Love,
Leslie, Jay & Aiden